Saturday, November 5, 2011

An Invitation and a Book Suggestion

As we all know, Otepoti resides in the ass-end of the world, while most of us (with some notable exceptions) appear to reside in the Rust Belt. And, as you all know, Otepoti made a memorable trip to my notch of the Rust Belt last spring. Well, guess what? She's coming back.

As some of you know, we recently got our Letter of Approval from China to adopt Jude, who's now nineteen months old; it came, in fact, exactly a year to the day that we first learned about him. And those of you who know my older son know that it would be something of a disaster, and not a little one, for him if I were to go to China for two weeks and leave him behind (which is why I bring him with me on my out-of-town gigs). So my husband will be making this long journey on his own.

But not entirely on his own. Otepoti has offered, with a generosity beyond any generosity I've ever known, to meet up with him in China and bring Jude back with him. And then she'll be hanging out with us again for a couple of weeks at least.

This will be sometime probably in late January - early February. If any of youse (if I may lapse into the Mutterspräche) are free to make a road trip then, you will have another chance to meet our awesome sister in Christ, and, if I can plan it all, to attend Jude's baptism. All are welcome.

On to the book suggestion. It may be a bomb. Is anyone interested in reading Mortal Love by Elizabeth Hand? It's a sort of quasi-fantasy that involves time travel, the Pre-Raphaelites, and Robert Graves's White Goddess, and also sex and drugs. Elizabeth Hand an Irishwoman from Yonkers, my former neck of the woods. It may not be interesting to anyone else but me, and that's completely all right, but I thought I'd toss it in.

10 comments:

Melanie B said...

Wow! How awesome that she's going to make that trip. Like you say, amazingly generous.

It looks like we might even be able to swing a visit then. Late January- early February.... I'm pretty sure we don't have anything big on our schedule. Anthony will be almost a year old at that point, logistically I find that so much easier than traveling with a newborn.

I am very excited by the prospect. It would be lovely if we could be there for Jude's baptism. Oh I love baptisms. And I am longing so to meet everyone face to face.

Mortal Love sounds interesting to me. I'm kind of a sucker for time travel stories. And for the Pre-Raphaelites.

BettyDuffy said...

I'm penciling it in!

And Mortal love sound good to me.

Emily J. said...

Ditto Melanie's Wow! And congratulations - cause for celebrating! I wish I could join in, but I think I'm closer to China than the Rust Belt.

Otepoti, do you have a relative in the airline business or something?

Pentimento said...

Thanks, all. The interwebs are amazing, aren't they? : )

Pentimento said...

About Mortal Love, I think it does have some fairly explicit sex in it, but not too much.

MrsDarwin said...

Ooh, too exciting. Maybe Betty and I can drive out together. :) I'd love to meet Otepoti and Jude and attend a baptism.

If I can get Mortal Love at the library, I'll join in too.

Otepoti said...

I'll look at the Library for Mortal Love, but if it's not there, I'll press ahead with Middlemarch. Should go down a treat with the Mandarin lessons.

(I aim to be able to say hello, goodbye, thankyou, please, no problem, wash hands, eat now, mama, papa - what else do you think would be useful for a two-year-old?)

Emily, I wish I had a relative in the airline business! No, it's just that I can help, so I should. I've spent a quarter of a century acquiring grandmother-type skills, and here's a chance to make Jude's transition (as well as Pentimento's husband's trip) a bit easier.

Also, one lifetime regret of mine is that I've never got to grips mentally with China, neither language, culture nor history. It's an enormous gap, so here's a chance to remedy that, while doing something worthwhile.

Lastly, if I may say...

Squeeee!

Pentimento said...

Well, there you have it. Otepoti is just incredible, and God is good.

Incidentally, my son is learning Mandarin in kindergarten -- can you believe it? -- so he can say those words too!

Do they teach you any songs in Mandarin? I would love to learn some.

Melanie B said...

Mandarin in kindergarten? That's awesome! How wonderfully fortuitous for you all. To have even a bit of that language barrier overcome will hopefully make the transition a little easier for both boys.

Pentimento said...

I hope so. Honestly, transitions and R. are not friends.