Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Next book

Just got home last night, so apologies for the late response to Betty's cue to pick a new book.

And of course, I can't decide, so time for a vote:

1. Something old: Jane Eyre or The Scarlet Letter. I haven't looked at either of these since high school. Wanted to reread JE before seeing the movie, but Hawthorne is shorter, and rereading "Young Goodman Brown" a couple months ago made me want to go back to Hawthorne.

2. Something newer: These choices are kind of cheats because I finished them on our trip: Sticking with memoirs, we could read Joan Didion's A Year of Magical Thinking about her husband's death. A little slow, but a tender portrait of a celebrity marriage that worked amid reflections on loss.

or

A Bigamist's Daughter by Alice McDermott. I loved and hated this book. Would love to hear someone else's take on it. If it were made into a movie, it would be rated R for sex and language, but lots of Catholic overtones. Young unmarried editor at a vanity press gets into a relationship with one of her authors who can't finish his book about a bigamist. She also is sorting through her feelings about her parents and other relationships.  Interesting, sometimes irksome characters, but I was intrigued by the conclusion.

or

Short stories by William Trevor: A Bit on the Side. I'm actually not quite done with these. But like the McDermott, I'm having a love/hate relationship with the book. Mostly love. I hadn't read any Trevor before.

or

Something different: The book from the pope, Light of the World. I just ordered it for my dad for Christmas and it came to my house instead of going to him.

So cast your votes. I'm open to suggestions, too, if there is something else you've loved and want to share.

6 comments:

BettyDuffy said...

I vote Jane Eyre or the Pope's book. I want to read something I love rather than something I'd love/hate.

Melanie B said...

Wow. So many of those sound good. I think my top picks would either be Jane Eyre or The Scarlet Letter. I just got the Pope's book for Christmas, though, so can bump up reading it.

mrsdarwin said...

Like Betty, right now I'm wanting to read something I'll love, so with her and Melanie I vote either Jane Eyre or the Pope's book.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I reread Jane Eyre last year, but I'm always up for a discussion. But I'm excited about The Scarlet Letter, too, because it's one I've never read. =)

Emily J. said...

Enbrethiliel, it looks like Jane Eyre has more votes than The Scarlet Letter - maybe another month. Maybe you could pre-screen the new film - if it has arrived on your side of the globe.

Now to start reading Jane Eyre and see if the book holds up to the memory and myth of it.

Dorian Speed said...

Oh, I am so glad that somebody else hasn't read The Scarlet Letter. Maybe there really is hope for me.