Monday, January 3, 2011

Favorite Quote from Parched

"It was as if the part of my brain that governed experience had been lobotomized, and this sense of being so deeply separated from my truest, sanest self--the fact that on one hand I felt compelled to engage in behavior that basically consisted of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, and that one the other hand I was somehow willing it--created a moral/psychic conflict of such ghastly proportions and satanic complexity I simply tuned it out. Unable to reconcile my warring parts, I stuffed my feelings, tamped down every uncomfortable emotion, compartmentalized myself into two different people--good versus bad, self-pitying versus compassionate, sarcastic versus thoughtful--never knowing who I was, or able to predict who I was going to be on any given occasion." (pp 148-9)

2 comments:

Emily J. said...

Do you ever really reconcile your warring parts?

BettyDuffy said...

I wish. In Heaven, maybe?