Thursday, December 30, 2010

Just a quick note...

I think we'll continue to choose books in alphabetical order by the first letter of our screen names:

So after me this month follows:

Emily J--January
Enbrethiliel--February
Jamie--March
Melanie--April
Mrs. Darwin--May
Otepoti--June
Pentimento--July

So, Emily's been in town this past week, and I know she's still on the road, so it might be awhile before she gets something up here--but we did get to chat a little about the book. Making a comparison with Mary Karr, which is difficult not to do, seeing as both authors overcame addiction by conversion, it seemed as though the conversion portions of both books were rather brief.

I understand there are numerous different reasons why this might be so, and I know Heather King writes about ongoing conversion elsewhere. But I was thinking specifically about the memoir genre, and how one weakness of the genre would be that the author has to fabricate an ending that hasn't actually taken place--particularly if that ending is of a spiritual nature. We know the authors accepted Christ, but do they finish the race? We cannot know.

Even though I'm drawn to a more personal style of spiritual writing, or testimony, the whole bit is plagued by this kind of, "...And then I found Jesus" simplicity. It feels like an easy ending.
Still, I'm not sure what the alternative would be.

I was reading through some old journals lately, and it was funny how quickly my own reversion took place. It really was the turn of a page--one day I decided to love Jesus. I made a few necessary ammends in my life, and all those pages of preparation and suffering were over. One day I didn't love, the next day I did.

Maybe the ending is just that easy. I don't know.

1 comment:

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Happy New Year, everyone!

Since I picked last year's November book, I think I should drop down the list a bit--at least until after Jamie is done. =) What do you all think? If the alphabetical arrangement turns out to be essential, I'll be happy to change my Blogger name to Ziggy. =)

Betty, I know what you mean about the difficulty one has with endings when one is writing a memoir--or even a biography of someone still living. I've been dabbling a bit in that genre myself, trying to write about my grandparents, thinking that two septuagenarians are bound to be nearly done with their living . . . and finding myself woefully mistaken. No one is ever done until they're dead.

And generally speaking, I've always thought that "And then I found Jesus" was the worst ending in the world. I nearly stopped reading a great MG Mystery series when I thought the writer was planning to turn all her characters Christian. I was so relieved to learn that wasn't on her creative agenda at all. Not to bash Heather King specifically, of course.