Saturday, July 3, 2010

What would you like to read next?

What would you like to read next?

Would you like to try something from my part of the world? Just for the kicks of trying to figure out some-one else's cultural references?

I was going to suggest "The God Boy" by Ian Cross. It's very old now, though, and may not be in print anymore. Plus, the Catholicism theme is not (as far as I remember) sympathetically handled. I would not be trying to be insulting in suggesting it, quite the reverse, I'd just be interested in your views, but I'd hate to alienate and offend you.

How about something New Zealand, but not Catholic? "Bulibasha" by Witi Ihimaera. Or "Whalerider" by the same author, if you want a book that has a film attached to it. I can help you with the Maori words and phrases.

Other than that, how about some poetry? There's James K Baxter and also M.K. Joseph, both fine Catholic poets, in my opinion. Baxter was a bit of a renegade; M.K. Joseph was an academic. If you can't get copies, then I could photocopy the stuff and post it to someone. Or scan it to a disk and send it to you.

Best to all

6 comments:

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

My vote doesn't count, but that never stopped me from butting in, so . . .

I lived in New Zealand for two years and can't believe how familiar all these names still are! I've only read Baxter and Joseph, however. (And the introduction my favourite professor wrote to The God Boy, if that counts.) If you like poetry, Baxter's great.

Otepoti said...

Enbrethiliel, what a pleasure to hear from you. Where did you live when you were here? What brought you to us?

BettyDuffy said...

E, OF Course your vote counts!
Send me an email and I'll give you the link to contribute. bettyduffy2@yahoo.com

Otepoti, I'm up for anything. I'd love something new and unexpected.

Melanie B said...

I'll confess I'm only going to be good for something fairly light. We've just discovered that baby Bettinelli # 4 will be making his or her appearance on the scene sometime late next February. My energy levels are very low and the nausea is climbing. So anything that requires the concentration of a Faulkner will leave me by the wayside.

But don't let that dissuade you from picking something more challenging. The wonderful thing about a blog-based reading club is that if one gets behind, one can still participate in the conversations. Whereas in a face to face group that meets once a month, when the month for discussing a book has gone by there really is no way for someone who fell behind to go back and discuss it with everyone.

I'm still intending to go read Silence one of these days and I am so glad the posts will be there to keep me company when I do.

I do look forward to dipping into something New Zealand-ish, though. What a treat.

Emily J. said...

Congratulations, Melanie! Having been on vacation, I'm way behind on blog reading, so I'm sorry if I'm late with well wishes for you and your family

Otepoti, any of your suggestions sound good to me. I'll probably be offline another week while we visit my in-laws, but once we're back home, I'll have no grown-ups to talk to in the evenings again so will be looking forward to something to read.

As for Major Pettigrew, Anthony Hopkins is the first person to come to mind, but maybe he's too old. The actor would have to be able to balance being utterly respectable without being ridiculous. Would his name have to be changed so it's not too close to Mrs Pettigrew Lives for a Day? And the romance would be tricky - I thought they might just remain good friends, but maybe the author agrees with the Harry Met Sally predicament that men and women can't be friends.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Otepoti, I lived in Karori and studied in Victoria University of Wellington. I had always wanted to study abroad, and a friend who was already at Victoria recommended New Zealand to me. I considered Christchurch before choosing Wellington--and now I'm glad I did because I barely survived my first relatively light Welly winter!

Betty, thank you! I shall e-mail you now.