Thursday, July 22, 2010

Can't I Just Post a Picture of My Bookcase?

+JMJ+

I just spent the past few days reading everyone else's bio and wondering which of them I could persuade to write mine for me, knowing that I had to get it right the first time because I could only ask that sort of thing once. As soon as one person knows about the secret but isn't also "in" on it, the game is up. Luckily for me, I found an excellent co-conspirator who agreed to do this post and never reveal to anyone who she was. You ladies are really nice people, you know? =)

Have I thanked you for letting me join your group yet? If not, let me do that now. It's really wonderful to be here.

I probably should have just posted that picture of my bookcase (that is, my main bookcase; of course I have several), because reading has made up the greater part of my identity since I learned my alphabet. Sometimes I'm really glad to be "The Reader" of the family--or the student flat--or the classroom--or the office. Then someone asks me a question like, "How many books have you read in your entire life?" and seriously expects an estimate, and it just gets weird.

Anyway, I've lived in the Philippines all of my life, except for the two crazy years as an English major in Wellington, New Zealand and a little under six months total vacation time visiting relatives in the United States.

My first full-time job was as an English teacher in my old high school. I lasted two years before I resigned, demoralised and depressed. I've only done tutoring and freelance work since then, following behind real educators with a mop and a bucket. It's actually very interesting work for one who can look at it in the right way. One excellent benefit is that I get to read and write as much as I please. And now, perhaps, other English teachers are handing out demerits left and right to students who are plagiarising my more literary blog posts for their papers. If it wouldn't take up so many words, I'll explain why that is so ironic.

I don't have any children of my own, but I make do with my little brothers--who are still young enough to put up with my bossing them around. We read together every evening that they spend the night (and some evenings when they don't), not just because I think it will improve them, but also because I think they should have some meaningful memories of me. Twenty years from now, if their adult selves come across future editions of Donald J. Sobol's Encyclopedia Brown, Louis Sachar's Sixth Grade Secrets, or Jerry Spinelli's Maniac Magee and they feel a wave of warm nostalgia, then I'll know my life has not been in vain.

Whether I am teaching, tutoring, blogging, or big sister-ing, I am actively engaged in the reading and regurgitating of books. It has been the theme of my whole life and I am honoured to get to do a little of that here as well. Thank you again!

9 comments:

Pentimento said...

I'm so glad you're here, Enbrethiliel! Welcome!

You'll soon see that I am essentially a lame lurker on this blog, though I really mean to be more involved soon.

Melanie B said...

Yay! I'm glad you're here too. And I'd love to see that picture of your bookcase... bookcases really.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

@Pentimento: Thank you! I hope to be more involved than I have been as well.

@Melanie: Sure! I might have to put them on my own blog, though. And the pictures will have to wait until I buy yet another bookcase for all the volumes still stacked on the floor. My library seems to have grown exponentially while I wasn't looking.

BettyDuffy said...

I think, E, you are a natural for this blog. Welcome!

BettyDuffy said...

Also, I think there are far too few pictures on this blog. Bring on the bookcase!

mrsdarwin said...

I'm surfacing from baby to say I'm glad you're with us. Can't wait for your selections -- I'm really enjoying Otepoti's poetry selections, which are pulling me out of my Northern-hemisphere sensibilities. :)

Otepoti said...

Hi, Enbrethiliel! I really enjoyed reading your bio, since I've been trying (in my nosey Kiwi way) to fit together bits and pieces about you that I've gleaned from here and there - for example, that you like the same authors I do, eg. Madeleine L'Engle.

It must give a wonderful window on the world, to come from the Philippines: I'll like to sit down with you with a large pot of tea and some shortbread, and pump you for your views on life and everything.

I hope you were made happy and welcome when you were in NZ: I hear occasionally of overseas students who find it difficult here, and then I feel collective guilt and shame...

Emily J. said...

If we get sent to Guam next, maybe I can join Otepoti and Enbrethiliel for the shortbread and tea and a real book club meeting, since, relatively speaking, we would be much closer then. Looking forward to reading more!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

@Betty: Well, that gives me real incentive to tidy up! (And to hide the naughty books . . .)

@MrsDarwin: Thanks! =)

@Otepoti: My Wellington experience was wonderful. I really wish I could go back and visit my friends and all my old haunts, but the cost of a round-trip ticket is beyond me!

@Emily: Guam is certainly a more realistic half-way point!