Thursday, June 10, 2010

Summertime, and the readin' is easy

Got my copy of Major Pettigrew and finally started in on it today while the kids were in piano lessons. It's a fast read -- I'm humming along. I haven't found a huge amount in there yet that demands pausing and chewing over, but it's a charming book. I have my quibbles with the fact that most of the secondary characters have come across so far as complete stereotypes, but I wonder if the author is going to pull out some surprises later.

For any members who've been on hiatus because they've been too busy with real life to want to deal with Faulkner or McCullers: this is just the book to jump back in with. Undemanding, fashionably new, and pleasantly readable.

6 comments:

BettyDuffy said...

twenty five pages to go, and I'm going to knock them out yet tonight, I think. LOVING IT. I share your quibbles with stereotypical supporting cast, but it's too fun really to get my dander up.

This book is made to be a movie.

Emily J. said...

BD just passed over the book, so I'm looking forward to getting started, although so far this "vacation" I'm on has had very little time for reading. The idea of being fashionable, though, has me motivated.

mrsdarwin said...

I have been in MAJOR nesting mode (as in, I made noises about how I was going to hire someone to deep-clean my bedroom and bathroom, but I've ended up doing it all myself because I wanted to) so I haven't finished it yet. But I may treat myself to a reading day today because I completely scrubbed my shower this morning, which has happened since the last time I was cleaning up for a homebirth. I guess that's one positive about having lots of children in close succession...

mrsdarwin said...

I mean "hasn't happened".

BettyDuffy said...

At first I thought you meant you were nesting with Major Pettigrew.

Emily J. said...

Got some Major reading time on a trip to my brother's house with my mom driving, and didn't look up until I finished the book. I wouldn't mind nesting with the Major, although I was interested to see how the author was going to get him past his formality into a more intimate relationship. More thoughts to come.