Monday, June 21, 2010

Major Pettigrew the Merchant Ivory Motion Picture

Greetings to you all, friends,

So who are we casting for the (inevitable, unquestionable) film? Emma Thompson for Grace the gracious neighbour - but who for Major Pettigrew and the obnoxious Roger? Jim Broadbent is too fat, and Colin Firth isn't quite old or young enough.

Did anyone else find the peripheral relationships - father/son, major/neighbour, son/girlfriend, major/abdul wahid MUCH more interesting and better drawn than the central love interest?

Would any else have liked a little more of Jasmina's internal monologue? I also wished that the Major's character hadn't existed quite so much in tart reaction. Though - I guess that's the implication of "reactionary".

Anyway, thanks for that. I enjoyed it, and I read it ON TIME.

wOOt!

Jocelyn

5 comments:

mrsdarwin said...

I found the Pakistani characters (though most were "English", as Mrs. Ali points out, but never mind) and the Pakistani subplots much more interesting than the English club antics. There were much stronger undercurrents and more serious issues in those strands of the story, whereas many of the English characters were, I felt, fundamentally unserious. I was surprised by how much I ended up liking Sandy the American, but also irritated from the start about her stereotypical "American-ness" -- which, I may point out, is not all that common in the circles I move in. I guess the people I know don't move to England for business.

BettyDuffy said...

I definitely had Jim Broadbent as the Major, though I wished he were better looking.

mrsdarwin said...

Have you seen Masterpiece Theater's Foyle's War? The lead actor Michael Kitchen might be the right man for the Major.

BettyDuffy said...

I want to say more about this book, but I'm not sure what to say. I just enjoyed it.

And now that I've been on vacation, it's a bit less fresh in my mind.

So I'll say this...What's on for JULY?

I think, Otepoti, it might be up to you.

Melanie B said...

Re Sandy's stereotypical Americanness. I thought it was interesting that the author currently lives in the US. Thus I wondered if that was a conscious choice?