Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Interrupting

I STILL haven't received my copy of Kristin Lavransdatter and now wonder if I should pursue a refund from Adoremus books or let them keep my $15 as a donation to their worthwhile service.  The book may yet show up on my doorstep after making stops at our 2 forwarding addresses, if the post office is still keeping up with that. In the meantime, I thought I'd interrupt the "discussion" with a plug for 2 books I've been reading: Eudora Welty's Delta Wedding - not Catholic, but an absorbing story of a big family preserving its identity while opening up to newcomers, through birth and marriage. Only read anthologized Welty in college and thoroughly enjoyed this reconnection with her work, despite its slow beginning. Anyone have any thoughts on Welty?

The other book I picked up in a free bin somewhere: an old edition of The Story of the Trapp Family Singers. Maria von Trapp's autobiography is similar to the movie but strikingly different in some ways - for instance, their escape from Nazi Austria was not quite so dramatic.  Interesting to note that the Calvinist home school catalog Vision Forum carries this book and a number of von Trapp family recordings and even a Maria von Trapp doll, even though the book is full of descriptions of Catholic traditions and beliefs. This wouldn't be notable, except for the fact that the catalog has a large line of Reformation celebration books. Makes me wonder if somewhere down the line, some of the Trapps left the Catholic church. At any rate, I brought up the book here because it reminded me of the discussion of classical music on Pentimento's and Betty's  blogs.  Here was a family who began their career singing for small home concerts and parties. Their career became professional after the family fortune was lost in the bank crash during WWII.  So perhaps the loss of independent, hereditary wealth also added to the loss of the intimacy with classical music once enjoyed by a greater percentage of the population. 

2 comments:

Melanie B said...

i read Delta Wedding back in college in a Southern Lit class. (Note to fellow UDers: that was taught by Dr Cowan.)

I do recall liking it but otherwise I don't remember much about the novel, sadly. Probably time to re-read it.

My sister-in-law is a very, very, very big fan of the Von Trapp family. I've been meaning to read that book as well.

Emily J. said...

Hey Melanie - I LOVED Dr. Cowan - she was mesmerizing. But we just did a Welty short story in class, and I don't remember anything about the discussion of it. We spent a lot more time on Beloved by Toni Morrison, whom I hadn't thought of as a Southern writer, but Dr. Cowan really enlightened the reading.