Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Apologia

Hi all. It appears that it's my turn to choose a book, so, for November, I would like to invite you all to read Aplogia pro Vita Sua, by John Henry Cardinal Newman, with me (soon to be Blessed; he's to be beatified in 2010). As everyone here probably knows, Newman was an Anglican priest and a prominent English public intellectual who converted to Catholicism in the 1840s, and his Apologia is his spiritual autobiography, undertaken in response to public criticisms made of him by the Protestant minister, novelist, and promoter of the Victorian concept of "muscular Christianity," the Rev. Charles Kingsley.

Let me know if you're game.

11 comments:

Melanie B said...

I'm in. This is one of those books I've been meaning to read but never get around to.

Pentimento said...

Me too.

Betty Duffy said...

I'm in.

mrsdarwin said...

I read this in college, but, as so often happens with books one reads on a deadline, I don't remember much about it. I'd be happy to read it again with you ladies.

Emily J. said...

We'll move on then!

Colin Jaquiery said...

Late to this party. I'm up for reading it too.

Sorry to have been a silent partner for "Kristin".

Best.


Blast. I'm signed in as Colin.

Jocelyn (Otepoti)

Pentimento said...

Hopefully you haven't affected Colin's entire future with this comment, Otepoti. ;)

Pentimento said...

Okay, can we do the first two chapters in the next couple of weeks?

Otepoti said...

As long as I can fit in a trip to the public library. This Newman, he wrote Westerns, didn't he?

(Didn't he star in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid?")

Pentimento said...

No, but he has been in the news lately.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/100014403/with-his-daring-scheme-for-anglicans-benedict-xvi-fulfils-the-hopes-of-cardinal-newman/

Otepoti said...

Well, I'm good to go. My copy is 1905 edition. Any advance on 1905?

Cheers