Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Pentimento

Since I talk about myself a lot on my blog, I'll just write a brief outline here. I recently moved to Appalachia after having spent most of my life in New York City, a move that was simultaneously soul-sundering and a huge relief. I'm a classical singer, research scholar, and teacher, but, these days, mostly a mom. In an odd way, I feel like my life is just starting now.

I love to read, and usually have a half-dozen books going at a time, few of which I ever finish. This is a bad habit held over from writing my doctoral dissertation. When I take books out of the library, I'm more inclined to finish them, since there's a built-in sense of urgency, but unfortunately my local library doesn't have everything in the whole wide world, as the New York Public Library does -- one of the things I miss the most about New York -- so I order from used book sellers online a lot and then let the books languish in various places around the house.

I don't know many people in my new town yet, and don't know how to drive (I'm taking lessons), so I'm fairly isolated. In a way that I never expected, some of the most congenial, gemütlich, and copasetic people I've ever known - mothers, intellectuals, and women of faith all at the same time - I've met through my blog. So I'm delighted to be reading among friends and fellow believers.

1 comment:

Otepoti said...

Otepoti waves a fond greeting to friend Pentimento...