Monday, May 18, 2009

Otepoti is where I live

I've never lived anywhere else. I'm forty-eight now, so barring fire, flood or earthquake, I expect I'll finish my days here, in a university town in the South Island of New Zealand.

You won't find "Otepoti" on the map, though, not unless you luck on a Maori language resource. You'll find it as "Dunedin". (I once tried to join the Dunedin Gardening Club. But I couldn't. It was in Florida. I live in the other Dunedin.)

I'm married and have six children, three grown and gone, and I've resigned myself to waving the other three goodbye when they grow up, too - nobody gets work in Dunedin anymore. I'm a grandmother twice over, and I can't believe how quickly that happened - nine months was a lot longer when I was young. I'm accelerating towards old age, and it's not God's waiting room I'm heading for, but God's photo finish.

I'm looking forward to this reading group very much.

Nga mihi ki a koutou katoa, i te ingoa o tou tatou Ariki, ko Ihu Karaiti.

Greetings to you all in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments: